For quite a while I was searching for a self-hosted solution for my photo gallery, willing to move away from Flickr (which I still think is the best gallery from a technical point of view, too bad about its other downsides). Well, the Yahoo guys just gave me the final impulse for the switch by deleting my flickr account (don't know why, I received no warning about that, my suspicion in linked to a photo where I was criticising their recent deal with Microsoft).
I tried but really do not like the layout of other image hosting services like Picasaweb of SmugMug, I find them bad, ugly and too expensive but since I already have my own hosting solution with plenty of disk space and bandwidth and also don't care about the social network side of those services, a self-hosted gallery seems the optimal choice. The problem is, none of the existing solutions makes me happy.
After trying a number of existing solutions (I am too lazy and too busy to write my own), I am inclined to give phpGraphy a try:
As I said above, it is far from perfect, there are a number of pros and contras, making me to install a test instance, play with it, think more and ask for feedback (pretty please...)
- no database. It can work with an MySQL backend, but by default it works with flat files, which is a plus in my book, I want something light, small and easy
- as said above, light, small and easy
- RSS feed for last uploads
- ability to upload images with scp and automatic thumbnail generation
- user comments and ratings
- ability to display EXIF info
- clean layout by default
- no captcha and no OpenID login for comments: it seems like I have either to leave the comments open for everybody or require authentication to my site, both bad
- no comment notifications by email: these two are almost show-stoppers (I would hate to block comments)
- no ability to adjust the licensing info for each image and album
- old-style album-based format instead of the photostream I got used to
- no tags/keywords/labels and no navigation based on tags/keywords/labels, only album based navigation
- no search
There are also smaller complains, like the inability to easily offer HTML code for embedding in web pages and the lack of geotagging, but those are not vital.
So please have a look at my test gallery (populated only with very few images) and maybe give me some opinions (I am looking for a self-hosted FLOSS solution). Thanks.