09 February 2010

Back in the trenches

The expression "back in the trenches" is usually used as a metaphor for going back to work on something... this time I use it literally, just like the digging ditches:

snow

Returning from FOSDEM (more posting about FOSDEM is in the queue), where the weather in Brussels was not bad at all, I found Bucharest waiting me with a big surprise, when arriving home the snow was so big, it was impossible for me to open the gate, I had to take it out from its joints:
snow

My house is positioned in such a way that it provide shelter against Crivăț, the mighty wind from the Nort-East (from Russia, Siberia, from where most of the nasties come), so during a snowstorm like that, the blizzard will blow the snow from the open areas and pile it where its sheltered (like in front of my house):
snow

The snow had formed a crest with the peak at about 80cm exactly in front of the door and where I have to dig trails, I used a ruler to measure it:
snow

My dog was the happiest to see me back, she was alone for those few days (with a big reserve of food) but she didn't like at all to be isolated by snow like that. I was a liberator!
snow

Now in Bucharest is -5°C and snowing slowly...

4 comments:

  1. cine a vrut zapada, are acum zapada :) - lumea copiilor

    ReplyDelete
  2. Da... dar cum peste week-end am fost in Bruxelels la FOSDEM, unde era caldut (la 11 noaptea era inca +1°) si nici urma de zapada, supriza a fost semnificativa.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We had 1' of snow (about 30 cm) last month, and the whole of the UK came to a standstill. It's still being blamed for everything from the continuing recession to falls in house prices.

    Sucks to be us ...

    ReplyDelete
  4. @rich: I still hope the weather will get warmer and this will be gone in a couple of weeks, is not like the worst snow ever, I saw a few bigger ones... only that usually I am inside or around the house when it happens so I can shovel my way out. This time I was locked out :D

    ReplyDelete