02 September 2010

My love story with Caroline

Caroline is one persona created to illustrate the various categories of Fedora users and she stands for the "Casual User", paraphrasing, she tries to spend as little as possible time on front of the computer but may be involved in some other communities.

Frankly, I used to root for Caroline and want to see her targeted more by our distro, but after seeing the changes in our distro made in the name of catering to her needs... I got to care very little (none?) about her and I am not far from hating her. Why? because those changes are making my life harder and my computer use less pleasant (I acknowledge is not always Caroline's fault, she's sometime used as a strawman to push some agendas).

We look desperate trying to "steal" the Ubuntu audience and forget what made Fedora Fedora and doing it poorly. As I see it, the key to the success on the desktop is: features, features, features, polish, polish, polish. Look at the features we advertise for F14 and, please, show me at least one desktop user that get excited by one of them. Of courde we are not perceived as a desktop distro and losing. Badly.

10 comments:

  1. Oh, come on! This is pretty unfair. GNOME Shell was slated to become the default for this release but it was pulled since upstream decided to postpone the release of GNOME 3.0.

    Now, I know from reading your blog that you *hate* the Shell, but it was still a desktop feature to care about :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Still, although I understand Fedora is going through some sort of identity crisis and I understand that with a growing community of contributors we need to find our place/define our goals, I tend to agree with Nicu.

    Yes too much update is bad ans yes having 600 updates to do right after you installed you 2 month old Fedora is bad. Yes regarding bandwidth life is unfair. But I am still unsure whether I will like the future Fedora... Time will say

    ReplyDelete
  3. @slipszi: and even if we had GNOME Shell, it was nothing more than "the latest GNOME release"

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, because we work upstream and then pull in the work to Fedora. systemd has a important desktop focus and while it might not be immediately, I consider it partly a desktop feature.

    ReplyDelete
  5. "Caroline is one persona created to illustrate the various categories of Fedora users and she stands for the "Casual User", paraphrasing, she tries to spend as little as possible time on front of the computer but may be involved in some other communities."

    Nicu, did you read my newer blog post? This is wrong and I tried to correct this misconception I caused :(

    ReplyDelete
  6. @mairin: I feel in the second post you made Caroline look practically like anyone, broadening the persona so much that it loses identity.

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Nicu really? I don't understand. Are we reading the same blog post?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Could you at least post a picture of her that doesn't look like her ass is hanging out below her skirt?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I don't believe Fedora has any interest in stealing from anyone. Is there a reason this has to be a zero-sum game? What if the point is to make an OS that gets beyond the barrier of fighting over 1%? That does take more stability, and an agreement that we want to make something that people will enjoy.

    What it doesn't mean is inflexibility. Look at the time that's been spent recently hooking up user repos on Fedora People -- where anyone can maintain alternate branches of packages for experimenting. (In fact the move to git in our packge repos also makes some other experimental use possible in the future with a lot less pain for developers and maintainers.)

    IMHO, the view that making Caroline's life somewhat better means making Pamela's life (for example) worse is outmoded and false.

    ReplyDelete
  10. As described in the initial article, Caroline is the prototypical Ubuntu user.

    My life with Fedora is worse now than one year ago.

    ReplyDelete