05 November 2008

I learned a new word: Bokeh

While almost our entire community is celebrating Obama's victory, overshadowing the F10 Preview Release (anyone wonders why so few diggs for the announcement?) I decided to do my own offtopic post about the latest word I learned: Bokeh.

Stumbling over it in a comment to one of my photos, I did what I usually do when I see an unknown word: try a "define:" Google search (well, I do that when I am not going straight to Wikipedia). And Google did what it usually do: offered a list of description, including one from Wikipedia:

Bokeh (derived from Japanese boke ぼけ, a noun form of bokeru ぼける, "become blurred or fuzzy") is a photographic term referring to the appearance of out-of-focus areas in an image produced by a camera lens using a shallow depth of field.[1] Different lens bokeh produces different aesthetic qualities in out-of-focus backgrounds, which are often used to reduce distractions and emphasize the primary subject.

Summer Savory (cimbru)


This technique is most used on portraits and macro photography and as like a lot to do portraits and macro photography I used it a lot, but without knowing its proper name. Bokeh. Mmmmm...

No comments:

Post a Comment