06 March 2009

The road to 10000 or CC0 only over my cold, dead body

After a few days ago I was so excited about the drive to 10K images at the Open Clip Art Library I figured is the time to put my work where my mouth is, and planned a large contribution when I got disturbed by a talk about moveing away from the Public Domain dedication and towards a Creative Commons travesty, a move I am highly opposing to.

I was very close to to what I do when I am very unhappy about something: go ballistic, burn the crops and poison the wells. And nuke and the bridges. I think I have extensive experience in the area and can be pretty effective doing it. But having a busy day I didn't got time for that, instead I had the time to think more, cool down and come with a second strategy: consolidate my position as the second largest contributor by counting the number of uploads to have a bigger soapbox when/if the proverbial matter will hit the fan.

[ocal 10K and NO to CC0]

And as I rarely take the middle ground, my first contribution in this drive to 10K was a batch of 44 new images (new as images never published to OCAL so far, I still have a bunch to import from the old website so a lot of aces are in my sleeve).

PS: the illustration for this post was prepared with an experimental Inkscape devel build for F10, generously provided in addition to the Rawhide package by our mighty packager.

3 comments:

  1. Errr, CC0 is more public domain than the public domain because it provides a very public domain-like license for those jurisdictions where the public domain does not exist or it is impossible for copyright holders to directly place their works into the public domain.

    Copyright law sucks, but what is your problem?

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Anonymous: That's my problem? Technically I am not an OCAL founder, but I am the closest thing to that. The project was founded on some principles, decisions and mutual agreements.

    Over the years I made a lot of contributions based on those principles so I think is my full right to oppose to any change that could touch them.

    For the rest about my problem with CC0, I talked about that in the right place, the OCAL mailing list and said there why I think it would be hurting the project.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I tried to find your objections on the list but perhaps failed, finding only one which amounts to "I don't like yet another license" and "I think PD is well understood".

    Could you perhaps point to some other objections?
    Its exactly why PD is well understood to be unclear in many jurisdictions that CC0 was created. Still don't see your problem.

    ReplyDelete