11 March 2009

What is YOUR Elvish name?

Doing research for Elvish name (thanks everyone who tried to help!) I got this potentially interesting internet meme idea: get people to learn their Elvish names and blog about them. Unfortunately, it is not an easy meme to follow, but it may be fun.

I found a site with a list of Elvish translations, according to with my name (Nicu is the short form of the Romanian Nicolae, equivalent of the English Nicholas and originating from the Greek Νικόλαος) has the meaning "Victorious among the people" and will translate to Elvish as Turwaithion. Cross checking with an Sindarin dictionary where victory is tûr and people is gwaith, it seems plausible.

As documented by a list Quenya names, in this dialect Nicholas is translated as Túrelio (no need to cross check, since the source is "The Elvish Linguistic Fellowship" and the mechanics are the same, "victorious people").

There is also a third source which states my full name as Lenwë Oronar, but I don't trust it: not only it does not document the way names are obtained and the dialect used, but it goes against the Elvish tradition and uses both first names and surnames.

So Turwaithion or Túrelio, Sindarin or Quenya, I am not sure yet. But what is your Elvish name?

11 comments:

  1. About 20 years ago I used to use Moradan el della.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Anonymous: that was an invented name, right?

    ReplyDelete
  3. nicu: of course, it is :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. mi name is Nessa and i have a dragon called Zafira

    ReplyDelete
  5. plis......comment!!!(att:nessa)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I also have a dragon but still have not named it yet... he is an evil dragon, ready to kidnap princesses and fight heroes.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am Meldarion.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My name is Turwaithiel :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow this is interesting to know how the name Nicu suffered different distortions depending on the place it coming from, I'd like to know a bit more about my name because probably could happen the same thing.

    ReplyDelete